With our hearts washed clean with the clarity and focus of just one single cut with a sword, this has to be training in living with the patterns of ki-energy, living in goodness, living in wisdom, living in our bodies, …and living in just plain old, real world common sense! This is the most profound, and the old, original vow of Budo.
– – – reported by Mitsugi Saotome Shihan, Densho to Tomoshibi p. 95
This aikido is something that makes the world more peaceful.
– – – reported by Kanshu Sunadomari Shihan, interview in Gekkan Hiden Magazine, April 2009, and on the Sangenkai website.
Denko sekai no ijo* – the light of the heavens is above the whole world and is more than its ways…
– – -recorded by Hirokazu Kobayashi Shihan, reported by André Cognard Shihan in Petit manuel d’aikido, p. 44
* Mount Den-jo is the highest peak next to Mount Kurama…
Your physical movement must become a gesture that liberates.
– – – translated (and possibly paraphrased in translation) by Itsuo Tsuda, recorded by André Nocquet Shihan in his Hombu training diary, 1955-57. Published in Maître Morihei Ueshiba: présence et message
The goal of Budo is Friendship. Train in such a way that your spirit harmonizes with everything that lives on this Earth.
– – – recorded by André Nocquet Shihan, reported by J.-D Cauhépé and A. Kuang, Shobu aïki. La victoire selon l’art chevaleresque de Morihei Ueshiba, pp. 38, and 43
We never stop praying that there will be no fighting. But if evil does come, we must be strong enough to sweep it away and protect Justice.
– – – reported by J-D. Cauhépé and A. Kuang, Shobu aïki. La victoire selon l’art chevaleresque de Morihei Ueshiba, p.43
In Aiki, live in the “present”, “naka-ima“, the eternal Now, and it will manifest in you and make you a co-creator of the Love and Solidarity which is due to all of Humanity: both on Earth and in Heaven: that is to say, to all those who have worked for and who still work for the diffusion and fertilization of Life.
– – – translated (and possibly paraphrased in translation) by Itsuo Tsuda, recorded by André Nocquet Shihan in his Hombu training diary, 1955-57. Published in Maître Morihei Ueshiba: présence et message p.210
Bu has come down to us from ancient times, and it’s important to understand that its original nature is to take our animal spirits and to manifest there the spirit of the creator, and to make the three worlds [ – manifest, hidden and divine – ] join together in harmony and loving kindness and mutual care… this is what it really is.
– – – O’Sensei, probably audio-recorded by by Masatake Fujita, transcribed by Sadateru Arikawa Shihan, published in Aiki-Shinzui, p.90
For every single one of us, the meaning of being in this world – and the fact that that meaning is in our own life and soul – is something we have to be awakened to. This is absolutely essential, because it is this will be the origin and source of peace in this world.
– – – reported by Mitsugi Saotome Shihan, Densho to Tomoshibi p. 54