ContactKimbal Anderson, Sensei Komyozan@gmail.com 208-407-7590 1922 N 21st St., Boise ID, 83702
May Peace Prevail on Earth
Category Archives: Irimi
Aikido is irimi and atemi.
– – – reported by Tamura Nobuyoshi Shihan – French language interview on Budo no Nayami website
Triangular irimi, circular [spiraling] while you’re handling [aite], square [choku-sen] to finish up.
– – – reported by Morihiro Saito Shihan, Traditional Aikido, vol. 5, p.18
Between him and I, there is a + [the Japanese character for “10”]
– – – reported by Henry Kono Shihan in Yin and Yang in Motion, interview with Guillaume Erard.
You must enter the opponent, get inside him, and then draw him into you.
– – – reported by Kamada Hisao, JMAS newsletter, March 1984
Irimi is Ichi-no-Tachi, swords passing each other. Leap forward as the opponent inhales; apply technique with your exhalation.
– – – reported by Shigenobu Okumura Shihan in Kaiso no Yokugao, tr. Christopher Li on the Sangenkai website
Enter without hesitating, without a single thought, and your movement will become whatever [the flow of] ki wants it to be, with no conscious intention on your part.
– – – translated (and possibly paraphrased in translation) by Itsuo Tsuda, recorded by André Nocquet Shihan in his Hombu training diary, 1955-57. Published in Maître Morihei Ueshiba: présence et message p.143
Irimi-nage – it appears to be very simple, but [you young folk should] try to understand what I had to live through and endure in order to create it…
– – – reported by Tamura Nobuyoshi Shihan, Aikido, étiquette et transmission p. 139
Enter without hesitating! That’s all you have to do.
– – – reported by André Nocquet Shihan, Maitre Morihei Ueshiba presence et message , p.240
Enter without hesitating, “ki” knows what it must do. Let it enter the house of your heart and act in your place.
– – – translated (and possibly paraphrased in translation) by Itsuo Tsuda, recorded by André Nocquet Shihan in his Hombu training diary, 1955-57. Published in Maître Morihei Ueshiba: présence et message p.282